Let’s face it, we didn’t adopt our pets because we love the smell of litter box and wet dog. So, you may ask, “What can I do about it?”
First up -- Baking soda, baking soda, baking soda!
Baking soda is an environmentally-friendly non-chemical way to treat and prevent pet odors without harming your pet or your furniture. Also, see #3 for some quick cleaning tips that also help eliminate pet odors.
We often go “nose blind” to pet odors, so if you think that you don’t need these…RUSH to the store and buy baking soda and vinegar and start on down the following checklist.
DIY Carpet Cleaner
You will need:
A box of baking soda
Your favorite essential oils (I like Young Living’s Purification and Tea Tree, although Lemon is great, too)
Optional – a Glass “Parmesan Cheese” shaker container
- Open the top of your box of baking soda
- Add about 10 drops of essential oil
- Shake vigorously
- Transfer to your Parmesan Cheese jar. Or, using a knife or paper punch, make holes in the side of the box and retape the top.
- Shake liberally all over your carpet
- I like to shuffle around to rub it in (this would be a great job for the kiddos!)
- Allow to sit 20-30 minutes (there is no magic to the wait time)
- Vacuum it up and smell the freshness!
It is THAT easy. This is a DIY #LifeHack of other store bought carpet cleaners, but without all the additional chemicals that make me sneeze and give me a headache.
DIY Litter Box Deodorizer
You will need:
Essential oil (NOTE: I do not recommend citrus oils for cats; many sites say it “should” be OK, and many say No, but I’d never risk even a “maybe” with my Rambo and Rosa. However -- Purification is a great oil to use for this)
Simply mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar and about 10-15 drops of essential oil, and voila! You have a spritz that will temper odors between kitty box changes.
If you don’t have essential oils, try mixing in a small amount of food grade vanilla extract.
OPTION: See “Carpet Deodorizer.” Seriously, you can use the same mix in your cat box!
Do a Quick Clean
Many pet odors can be eliminated easily with a quick cleaning. Here is a punch list to make it quick and simple:
- Wash your pets’ food and water dishes (this will help them stay healthy as well)
- Wash bedding (I recommended a homemade laundry detergent – I’ll link the recipe when I post it)
- Brush your pet frequently (Yeah, it sounds obvious, but if your pup plays in the yard and your cat chooses the highest perch she can find…they are probably bringing all kinds of lovely nasty to the surfaces that you share with them)
- Use vinegar to wipe clean the corners of doorways and other favorite places that your pets to rub
- BONUS: Don’t forget to clean your pets’ toys! Soft ones can usually be put through the washing machine, and hard ones through the dishwasher.
I hope you enjoy my favorite easy, fast, cheap, and effective pet odor eliminating tips. I’d love to hear how it goes for you, please comment below if you found them useful.
Learn more about Young Living Essential Oils